What needs to be done?
- Daily check of the patient’s parameters
- Daily answering of the patient’s messages
- Daily check of compliance to crutch use and medication
What to advise the patient?
|A lot of swelling and stiffness||• Elevation of the limb|
• Application of ice (video included in exercise scheme of patient)
• Move the feet a lot
|High pain scores||• Check medication use of patient|
• Consider consulting doctor to adapt medication
• Inform the patient not to overdue it, advice to take the medication preventively and use the ice.
|Wound issues||• If signs of inflammation: flag to doctor|
|Patient doesn’t fill in daily questionnaire||• Message the patient to fill out the daily questionnaire|
|Patient doesn’t follow crutches protocol||• Message patient|
• Escalate to the doctor if necessary
When do you escalate to a doctor?
- Change in medication
- Signs of wound infection
- Non compliance of patients of the postoperative protocol