The Geko Study
At the request of your surgeon, you agreed to participate in the Geko study as part of your knee replacement surgery at AZ Maria Middelares. This study examines the influence of the ‘Geko OnPulse’ electrostimulation device’ on the post-operative swelling, complaints and outcome of your surgery.
At the start of the study, you will be randomly assigned to the control or intervention study group.
- If you are in the intervention group, you will be asked to use the Geko device for 10 days after surgery. You will be given the necessary instructions on how to use the geko device.
- If you are assigned to the control group, you will not use the Geko device.
The use of the moveUP application during your knee replacement rehabilitation
Before your surgery and during your rehabilitation, you will be asked to use the moveUP application. The moveUP application will be used with 2 goals in mind:
1. Data collection for the Geko Study:
During the study you will be asked to use the moveUP app to keep track of your symptoms and evolution. You will be asked to:
- Fill in a daily questionnaire on your pre-and post-operative status
- Use an activity tracker to keep track of your activity levels
- Fill in intermediate standardised questionnaires for evaluation of your surgery outcome.
2. Responsible and personalised rehabilitation:
Rehabilitation has an important influence on the outcome of your surgery. Based on the data received via the moveUP app, the specialised moveUP healthcare team will support and monitor you on a daily basis until you feel confident enough to continue rehabilitation on your own.
Via the moveUP app, you will:
- Receive personalised exercises based on your evolution: On a daily basis your care team checks-up on your parameters collected via the app and adapts the exercises on your personal evolution.
- Be able to ask all your questions at any time and anywhere: Via the chat you are in direct contact with the physical therapist and doctors of your care team. They will give timely advice based on your progression and answer all questions you might have.
- Learn to manage your activity: Based on the data of the activity tracker and your parameters, you will receive a daily advice on how active you can be (step min and max). This way you will learn how you can progressively build-up your activity levels without under- or overloading the operated joint.
- Receive timely advice: Information modules are activated at the right time during your joint replacement journey. Before the surgery, the information modules will help you to properly prepare for the joint replacement journey. After surgery, the information modules will help you to better understand what you can expect during and after your rehabilitation.
Price and reimbursement
The activity tracker and Geko OnPulse devices are free of charge for all patients who participate in the Geko Study.
A team of physical therapists and surgeons will provide personalised rehabilitation via the app. The cost of 40 euro per week will be fully reimbursed after you finish rehabilitation with moveUP. You will receive all the necessary documents for reimbursement by mail to submit with your mutuality.
Questions? Don’t hesitate to send a message to the moveUP team via the moveUP chat or firstname.lastname@example.org.